Abstract: Among all the non-ferrous materials, aluminium is widely employed in various aerospace, defence and industrial applications. The natural qualities, of aluminium and its alloys, like lightness, electrical and thermal conductivity, corrosion resistance, suitability for surface treatments, the diversity of the alloys and intermediates, ease of use, recycling make them usable in many applications. The applications demand the manufacturing of components by a superior manufacturing process, so that the products will be without any defects. Welding is one such process which is widely used in fabrication of aluminium components. Both fusion and solid- state welding processes are employed in the manufacturing of aluminium components. An attempt is made in this paper to take an overview of some fusion welding and some solid-state welding processes to weld Al and its alloys with a focus on the process parameters of these processes, tools used, micro structure of the welded specimens, thermal profiles, strength of joints and heat treatment. This is an attempt understand and summarize the issues related to welding of aluminium and its alloys.
Keywords: Process Parameters, Microstructure, Aluminium.
- Jyoti Prakash, S.P.Tewari, Bipin Kumar Srivastava, “Shielding Gas for Welding of Aluminium Alloys by TIG/MIG Welding-A Review” International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER) Vol.1, Issue.2, ISSN: 2249-6645, pp.690-699.
- S. Rana, Rajesh Purohit, and S Das, “Reviews on the Influences of Alloying elements on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Alloys and Aluminum Alloy Composites” International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 2, Issue 6, June 2012.
- Jeyaprakash, Adisu Haile, M.Arunprasath, “The Parameters and Equipments Used in TIG Welding: A Review”, The International Journal Of Engineering And
- Science (IJES), Volume 4 Issue 2, Pages PP.11-20, 2015, ISSN (e): 2319 – 1813 ISSN (p): 2319 – 1805.
- Yasuda, “MIG welding of Al alloys”, Journal of light Metal welding and Construction, 1990 28(8), pp.18-21.
- Sachin Kumar, Mr. Deepak Bhardwaj, Mr. Jagdeep Sangwan, “A Research Paper on Temperature Modelling of Friction Welding of Aluminium and Stainless Steel-304” International Journal of Enhanced Research in Science Technology & Engineering, ISSN: 2319-7463 Vol. 3 Issue 6, June-2014, pp: 319-327.
- Sivakumar, Vignesh Bose, D.Raguraman, D. Muruganandam, “Review Paper on Friction Stir Welding of various Aluminium Alloys”, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) e-ISSN: 2278-1684, p-ISSN : 2320–334X, pp. 46-52.
- Sunil M. Pawar, Prof. Vivek V. Kulkarni, “Mechanical Characterization of Aluminium Alloys for TIG Welding Experimental and Modeling Studies” International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) e-ISSN: 2395 -0056 Volume: 02 Issue: 02 May-2015, ISSN: 2395-0072
- Lakshman Singh, Vinay Shah and Naveen K.Singh, “Study The Influence of TIG Welding Parameters On Weld Characteristics Of 5083 Aluminum Alloy”, International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology (IJESIT) Volume 2, Issue 5, September 2013
- Lakshman Singh, Rohit Kumar, Nidhi Gupta and Mayur Goya, “To investigate the effect of tig welding parameters on 5083 aluminium alloy weldability” Mechanica Confab ISSN: 2320-2491, Vol. 2, No. 4, June-July 2013.
- M Eazhil, S.Mahendran, S.Ganesh Kumar “Optimization of Tungsten Inert Gas Welding on 6063 Aluminum Alloy on Taguchi Method “, Volume I, Issue III, August 2014 IJRSI ISSN 2321 - 2705.
- Pankaj C. Patil, Prof. R. D. Shelke “Review on welding parameter effects on TIG welding of aluminium alloy” International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science Volume 3, Issue 3, May-June, 2015 ISSN 2091-2730
- Swapnil S. Ingle, Dr. Rajendra S. Dalu, “ Thermo-Mechanical Analysis in TIG Welding of Aluminium Alloy 6082” International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) ISSN (Online): 2319-7064 Volume 4 Issue 4, April 2015
- Jyoti Prakash, S.P.Tewari, Bipin Kumar Srivastava, “Shielding Gas for Welding of Aluminium Alloys by TIG/MIG Welding-A Review”, International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER) www.ijmer.com Vol.1, Issue.2, pp-690-699 ISSN: 2249-6645
- Mahdi, E. O. Eltai, A. Rauf, “The Impact of Metal Inert Gas Welding on the Corrosion and Mechanical behavior of AA 6061 T6” Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 9 (2014) 1087 - 1101
- Chandan Kaushal, Lochan Sharma, “To find effects of GMAW parameters on Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Alloys”, l Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, ISSN : 2248-9622, Vol. 4, Issue 11 (Version - 6), November 2014, pp.88-92
- O. Oladele Msc, J.A Omotoyimbo Phd, B.O. Adewuyi Phd “Study of the effect of welded joints on the mechanical properties of Wrought (6063) aluminum alloy”, The Pacific journal of science and Technology, Vol 10, Nov 2009, pp 120-125
- P L Threadgill, A J Leonard, H R Shercliff and P J Withers, “Friction stir welding of aluminium alloys”,TWI
- Boonseng, S. Chainarong, C. Meengam “ Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Friction Welding in SSM356 Aluminium Alloys”, International Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering Research Volume 2, No.4, April 2014, ISSN 2347 - 3983
- Bhanodaya Kiran Babu, A. Prabhu Kumar and M. Joseph Davidson, “A Review Of Friction Stir Welding Of AA6061 Aluminium Alloy”, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, VOL. 6, NO. 4, April 2011 ISSN 1819-6608
- Al Faizal, Amarnath T, Roshan T Ninan, “ An Investigation of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium 6063-T6 after Friction Welding Process”, International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT)
- Volume 17 Number 5 – Nov 2014
- Sathish, V.Seshagiri Rao, “Corrosion Studies on Friction Welded Dissimilar Aluminum Alloys of AA7075-T6 and AA6061 –T6”, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 9 (2014) 4104 - 4113.
- Y. Xie, T.S. Jun A.M, Korsunsky and M. Drakopoulos, “Analysis of Preferred Orientations in Linear Friction Welded (LFW) Aluminium Alloy Specimens using 'One-shot' Multi-element Energy Dispersive Synchrotron X-ray Diffraction”
- Hariharan and R.J. Golden Renjith using Nimal, “Friction Stir Welding Of Dissimilar Aluminium Alloys (6061&7075) By Using Computerized Numerical
- Control Machine”, Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research 20 (5): 601-605, 2014 ISSN 1990-9233.
- Vijaya Kumar, G. Madhusudan Reddy and K. Srinivasa Rao, “Effect of Post Weld Heat Treatments on Mechanical and Stress Corrosion Cracking Behavior of Aa7075 Friction Stir Welds” International Journal of u-and e-Service, Science and Technology Vol.7, No.4 (2014), pp.251-262
- Koilraj, V. Sundareswaran, S. Vijayan, S.R. Koteswara Rao, “Friction stir welding of dissimilar aluminum alloys AA2219 to AA5083 – Optimization of process parameters Taguchi technique”, Design, Volume, December 2012, pp.1–7
- K. Lakshminarayanan, V.Balasubramanian, “Process parameters optimization for friction stir welding of RDE-40 aluminium alloy using Taguchi technique”, Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, Volume 18, Issue 3, June 2008, pp.548–554
- Prashant Prakash, Sanjay Kumar Jah, Shree Prakash Lal, “A Study Of Process Parameters Of Friction Stir Welded AA6061 Aluminium Alloy”, International Journal Of Innovative Research In Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol 2, Issue 6, June 2013.
- Saumil K.Joshi, Jaivesh D. Gandhi, “Influence of Tool Shoulder Geometry on Friction Stir Welding: A Literature Review”, 2nd International Conference on Multidisciplinary Research & Practice Page 261.
- Ramanjaneyulu, G. Madhusudhan Reddy, A. Venugopal Rao & R. Markandeya,” Structure-Property Correlation of AA2014 Friction Stir Welds: Role of Tool Pin Profile”, J Mater Engg Perform, Vol. 22 Issue 8, Aug2013,pp.2224.