Abstract: Telemedicine for multiple patients monitoring has been developed as a monitoring system to monitor the status of patient’s health. Real time multiple patients monitoring system (RTMPMS) is applied in areas where real-time vital function analysis takes place. A state-of-the-art, PC and arduino based, integrated, low-cost, small, portable, low power consumption, ZigBee communication with health monitoring system and alarm system has been studied in this paper. Human’s body temperature, electrocardiogram (ECG) and heart rate information have been acquired and sent to a computer using ZigBee communication. The system in this paper will monitor three patients simultaneously by one computer through multiple Xbee transceivers. The graphical user interface (GUI) has been set up to display/store the body temperature reading, ECG data, pulse rate information in real time and patients records using LabView. The user interface has alarm system which will be activated if one parameter increased the range. The open architecture system design offers scalability, standard interfaces, flexible signal interpretation possibility and effective monitoring system. This system shows how arduino with the computer through ZigBee can be feasible in patient monitoring and patient data retrieval. Through this way, real-time remotely monitoring is achieved.
Keywords: Cost, Health Care, Real Time, RTMPMS, System, ZigBee.
- Gardner R.M., Shabot M.M. (2006) Patient-Monitoring Systems. In: Shortliffe E.H., Cimino J.J. (eds) Biomedical Informatics. Health Informatics. Springer, New York, NY. pp 585-625.
- SYED, M.J. (2009). IP Based Patient Monitoring Systems (Master's thesis, University of Boras, Sweden). Retrieved from http://bada.hb.se/bitstream/2320/6166/1/Jafri.pdf.
- Chalfin D, Trzeciak S, Likourezos A, Baumann B, Dellinger R (2007) Impact of delayed transfer of critically ill patients from the emergency department to the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 35(6): 1477–83.
- Rogers A, Dean G, Hwang W, Scott L (2008) Role of registered nurses in error prevention, discovery and correction. Qual Saf Health Care 17(2): 117–21.
- Sirisha B., Shraddha T., Vijayanand K.: ‘Real-time multi-patient monitoring system using ARM and wireless sensor network’, Int. J. Commun. Netw. Secur., 2013, 2, (2), pp. 41–47, ISSN: 2231–1882
- B Kaur, Anantdeep Kaur (May 2016) 'Compressed sensing of ECG signals through zigbee sensor networks', International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), 03(05), pp. 2160-2163.
- Kanchan Kaushal;Taranvir Kaur;Jaspinder Kaur,” ZigBee based Wireless Sensor Networks.” (IJCSIT) International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies, Vol. 5 (6) , 2014, 7752-7755
- B Kaur, Anantdeep Kaur (2016) 'A brief review: ECG based health monitoring system through zigbee sensor networks', Imperial Journal of Interdisciplinary Research (IJIR), 2(6), pp. 192-195.
- M. Karantonis, M.R. Narayanan, M. Mathie, N.H. Lovell and B.G. Celler (Jan. 2006) 'Implementation of a real-time human movement classifier using a triaxial accelerometer for ambulatory monitoring', IEEE, 10(1), pp. 156 - 167.
- Xiaoliang Wang ; Qiong Gui ; Bingwei Liu ; Zhanpeng Jin et al (2014), “Enabling Smart Personalized Healthcare: A Hybrid Mobile-Cloud Approach for ECG Telemonitoring”, IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Vol. 18, No. 3, May, pp. 739 – 745
- Dunsmuir, D., Payne, B. ; Cloete, G. ; Petersen, C.(2014), “Development of m-Health Applications for Pre-eclampsia Triage”, IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Vol. PP, No. 99, January , pp. 2168-2194
- Bin Yu, Lisheng Xu, Yongxu Li, " Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Based Mobile Electrocardiogram Monitoring System", in the Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation Shenyang, China, June 2012, pp. 763-767.
- Ospino, M.R. ; Ariza, L.C. ; Rojas, J.G., (2012), ”Mobile system for monitoring measurements in hypertensive patients”, In the proceedings of the IEEE Colombian Communication conference, May 16-18, CA, pp. 1-6
- Moreira, H. ; Oliveira, R. ; Flores, N.(2013), “STAlz: Remotely supporting the diagnosis, tracking and rehabilitation of patients with Alzheimer's”, In the Proceedings of the 15th IEEE Conference on E-health Networking, Applications, and Services, October 9-12, Lisbob, pp. 580-584
- Parane, K.A., Patil, N.C. ; Poojara, S.R. ; Kamble, T.S(2014) “Cloud based Intelligent Healthcare Monitoring System”, In the proceedings of International Conference on Issues and Challenges in Intelligent Computing Techniques (ICICT), February 7-8, Ghaziabad, Indian, pp. 697-701
- Ruipeng Gao ; Liqiong Yang ; Xinyu Wu ; and Tao Wang, (2012) “A phone-based e-health system for OSAS and its energy issue”, In the proceedings of the International Symposium on Information Technology in Medicine and Education, August 3-5, 2012, Hokodate, Hokkaido, pp. 682-696
- Lee, Y.D. and Chung, W.Y. (2009) “Wireless Sensor Network Based Wearable Smart Shirt for Ubiquitous Health and Activity Monitoring”, Sensors and Actuators B: Chameical, Vol. 140, No. 2, July, pp. 390-395
- Ata Elahi, Adam Gschwender (2009) ZigBee Wireless Sensor and Control Network, 1st edn., Prentice Hall Communications Engineering and Emerging Technologies Series from Ted Rappaport: Prentice Hall.