Abstract: Gravity retaining walls are known to be relatively economic as retaining solution to the heights up to 4m. Gravity walls depend on their mass (stone, concrete) to resist pressure from behind the walls. Many shape gravity retaining walls are used; rectangular, triangular, and trapezoidal. This study focuses on finding the optimum shape design for retaining walls. The cost of the gravity retaining walls depends on the weight and the materials. In order to minimize the cost, materials of the gravity retaining walls should be minimized, which mean that the section of gravity retaining walls must be reduced. The design starts by choosing the shape of gravity walls for which the stability of the wall is checked. To study the effect of shape on minimizing the weight or volume (Area) many sections were used. In the present work the result of a numerical analysis is presented. The results show that the rectangular retaining wall shape has a large volume which in turn it has a large weight equal to100 %from the total weight ,triangular shape has 73 % from the total weight, and trapezoidal shape has 52 % from the total weight with better stability against the soil which is the most economical shape of gravity retaining walls.
Keywords: Gravity Retaining Walls, Shape, Numerical Analysis.
- Saribash and F. Erbatur, “Optimization and sensitivity of retaining structurs,” J. Geotech. Engrg, vol. 122, no. 8, pp. 649-656, 1996.
- Ceranic and C. Fryer, “An application of simulated annealing to optimum design of reinforced concrete retaining structures,” ComputStruct., vol. 79, pp. 1569-1581, 2001.
- Guerra, A., Kiousis, P.D. (2006). Design optimization of reinforced concrete structures. Computers and Concrete 3, 5, 313-334.
- Kortnik, J. (2009). Optimization of the high safety pillars for the underground excavation of natural stone blocks. Acta Geotechnica Slovenica 6, 1, 61-73.
- Gil-Martin, L.M., Hernandez-Montes, E., Aschheim, M. (2010). Optimization of piers for retaining walls. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 41, 6, 979-987.
- Mendjel, D., Messast, S. (2012). Development of limit equilibrium method as optimization in slope stability analysis. Structural Engineering and Mechanics 41, 3, 339-348.
- Jelusic, P., Zlender, B. (2013). Soil-nail wall stability analysis using ANFIS. Acta Geotechnica Slovenica 10, 1, 35-48.
- Y. Lin, M. Wu, J. A. Bloom, I. J. Cox, and M. Miller, “Rotation ,scale, and translation resilient public watermarking for images,” IEEETrans. Image Process., vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 767-782, May 2001.
- L. S. Babu and B. M. Basha, “Optimum design of cantilever retaining walls using target reliability approach,” Int. J. Geomech., vol.8, no. 4, pp. 240-252, 2008.
- Ahmadi, and H. Varae, “Optimal design of reinforced concrete retaining walls using a swarm intelligence technique,” in Proc. 1st Int.Conf. Soft Computing Technology in Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering, UK, p. 26, 2009
- V. Camp and A. Akin, “Design of retaining walls using big bang-bigcrunch optimization,” J. Struct. Eng., vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 438-448,2012.
- Erol Sadoglu, Design Optimization for Symmetrical Gravity Retaining Walls, ACTA Geotechnica Slovenica, 2014/2 p71-79.
- A KavehS Talatahari · R Sheikholeslami , Conference Paper: Optimum seismic design of gravity retaining walls using the Heuristic Big Bang-Big Crunch Algorithm., Second International Conference on Soft Computing Technology in Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering; 01/2011
- Mohammed Hassan BaziarMasoud Rabeti Moghadam · Habib Shahnazari, Sliding stability analysis of gravity retaining walls using the pseudo-dynamic method, Geotechnical Engineering 08/2013; 166(4):389-398. DOI:10.1680/geng.10.00036
- Sheikholeslami, B. Gholipour Khalili, and S. M. Zahrai, Optimum Cost Design of Reinforced Concrete Retaining Walls Using Hybrid Firefly Algorithm, IACSIT International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 6, December 2014.
- Du, Y. F., Yu, Y., & Li, H. (2008). Analysis of reliability of structural systems for stability of gravity retaining walls.Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering-Chinese Edition, 30(3), 349
- Sivakumar Babu, G. L., & Basha, B. M. (2008). Optimum design of cantilever retaining walls using target reliability approach.International journal of aeromechanics, 8(4), 240-252.
- Ray, A. G., & Baidya, D. K. (2012). Reliability coupled sensitivity based design approach for gravity retaining walls.Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series A, 93(3), 193-201.